Gmail was launched on April 1, 2004 as an invitation-only Beta Release and became available to the public on February 7, 2007. Today Gmail is still in Beta and it is one of the top email providers. This doesn’t come as a surprise due to all of the capabilities available when one signs up for an account.
Some of the functions of Gmail are:
- Voice and Video Chat – where one can have an actual conversation with someone or even speak face to face over video.
- Gmail for Mobile – Send and receive email from your mobile phone.
- Google Docs – Web-based word processor and spreadsheets, which allow you to share and collaborate in real time. One can safely store and organize ones work online. Editing can be done at anytime from anywhere.
- Google Calendar – Organize your schedule and share events online.
- Picasa Web Albums – Upload photos to the web and organize them in web albums.
- Google Reader – Helps you keep up with the online information that matters to you by organizing and managing all the content you’re interested in. You can automatically get the latest news and updates from your favorite sites and organize it with labels and stars
These are just some of the many functions that Gmail has to offer, and they are continuously working to come up with new functions and improve the current ones. You can create a free Gmail account at anytime at www.gmail.com.